Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A little help from my friends at Opus


Opus number 2 (on my personal calendar in which they are numbered by the ones I actually ride) was last night. My last Opus was pretty painful and depressing. I wasn't even close on any of the sprints, I pulled for 80% of the rest of the race and I just felt beat up.

If anyone doubted that my team is interested in developing newer riders, or thought that the A team wasn't interested in the rest of the club, you've got the wrong idea. Last night, the Sick Blogger rode as a coach with me in the Cat 4 race. Now, I thought I was going to take plenty of grief for having someone ride along. I got none. Andy, however, got royally abused by at least 10 different people in the pack at the start. I bet Andy knew he was going to get slammed. I didn't even think about it. But he helped me out anyway.

So a huge THANKS goes to him. My results weren't great last night (I was in the hunt for a couple of the sprints but didn't score any points), but thanks to the feedback, it was the best Opus I've ever ridden. I've got one more chance to get some results before the series is gone for another year and I've got some idea of what I need to do to try to make that happen.

Guess we'll find out next Tuesday.

Photo courtesy of Tim Franz

2 comments:

Dan Cleary said...

Andy got abused not because of him helping out, but just because it was Andy;)

I noticed you didn't stick your nose out there in the wind this week (except for one time) which at least set you up for potential sprint points.

Its a crazy field out there at Opus with everything getting chased down and lots and lots of sprinters. Its hard to know who's for real out there and who to follow.

I've snagged 3 points total at Opus but they weren't easy to find.

Nice work out there.

Michael said...

Thanks, Dan. I'll be lucky to get to 3 points before this is over.