Friday, May 19, 2006

Dang!

Well, last night was supposed to be the first night of racing a the velodrome. After slogging through traffic (I missed the window of time to leave my house), I got up there at around 6:00, giving me an hour to warm up and get my track legs back, since I haven't ridden up there since last September, in spite of my best intentions. I turned in my number from last year and was relieved to discover I wasn't the only one doing so.

Since it was the first night, there were waivers to sign, number to pass out and pin on, etc. etc. And I haven't had the chance to build up my new/used Bianchi Pista Concept frame, so I had to get the rental bike going. Long story short, I was ready to ride about 6:30, so now I was down to 30 minutes prior to the start. Our race was scheduled first, so at least I'd be able to stay out there until the last minute.

Only one problem. I completely forgot how to ride on banking. I got out there and I felt like I was all over the place. I was feeling pretty foolish, not to mention nervous. After about a lap and a half, however, Mother Nature put an end to my reacquaintance with the velodrome. As the rain started, they rang the bell, we came in and the rain just kept on going.

On one hand, I'm bummed I didn't get to race. On the other, I have the weekend to get my steed assembled and a couple days to sneak in some comfort building laps.

May do the Charity TT on Sunday. Anyone know if the velodrome is a not for profit? Maybe we can vote them in as next years donation.

No comments: