Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Mountain Biking 101 (and 102)

I figure if I'm going to finally try Mountain Biking, I might as well pick somewhere to have a good experience. And Puerto Rico seemed like a good choice. It's low 80's, mostly sunny. The mountain biking is through the rain forest near the resort we're staying at. I guess I'm never going to get more ideal conditions to give it a go.

The Mountain Biking recreation activity that I chose as part of my stay wasn't as popular with the rest of the sales people as it was with me. There are 540 people at this event. 5 of us chose to go mountain biking. There was a young (20's) guy from Texas who "started biking about a year ago and is really into it". Showing up in his Castelli jersey, he was glad to see the small number of people, hoping that "we could get a good pace going and not have to wait too much". Frankly, I was hoping the same thing. There were 3 other guys from the Bay area; one tall, slender guy, clearly fit in his late 40's or early 50's, the other two were 40's or 50's and "did some riding".

I was the only one with shaved legs.

So, we ride the shuttle bus to the starting place with much joking about how everyone feels they're going to be left behind, etc. etc. I decided to just keep my mouth shut other than to comment on how this was going to be a lot more fun than riding in sub 30 degree weather. When we got there, I was pleasantly surprised to see half-way decent bikes (Specialized Hardrock hard tails). We were picking out helmets and gloves that fit when the guide showed up. He was riding a Stumpjumper, but wearing a Liquigas kit. He was maybe 25 and looked like a pro. His legs were shaved, too. I found out later he placed 2nd in Puerto Rico for MTB in 2006 and he races all over the Caribbean and Central America. He was taking us out, had another group to take later, and had ridden 80 miles earlier in teh day on the road. What a life!

So, we headed out. It was all rutted, bumpy, rocky fire roads or ATV trails, but it was very nice. Huge groves of bamboo. It looked like a scene from House of Flying Daggers. It was pretty cool. There were a few short rises, but nothing I would really call a climb. Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that the big talking Texan was mostly a big talker. The two of the guys for California were regular MTBers, one of them a racer, so that was great. We had to stop several times and wait, which is a bit challenging once you get warmed up.

Then we hit the Hill. I've never ridden at Afton, but I'm guessing it was pretty similar. 8 - 15%+ grade for at least a kilo if not longer. Every time you came around a corner, it just kept going up. I haven't pegged it like that in months! It felt good after it was over though, and once I recovered, I was ready to do it again. Which is a good sign I'm ready for training.

Now, several of my cycling buddies have suggest that I really should try racing MTB. "You'll love it!". "It's perfect for your style!". "You'd think it was great!" And I have to tell you, the climbing, even over the rocks, gravel, loose soil and uneven roads was pretty fun. However bombing down a 15% grade, through trees over rutted roads around blind corners is something I will NEVER do at any thing resembling race speed. I got down no problem, but I would have been way off the back considering how fast the guide and the California based MTBer flew down. I just watched them disappear.

I think I'm just going to sit on the beach today or by the pool and enjoy the relaxation and the sunshine. Maybe swim a little. Puerto Rico is a beautiful place. But when it comes to mountain biking, what happens in PR, stays in PR.

1 comment:

SickBoy said...

dear mike downs,

did you die?

love, the internet